A big thanks to all those that voted in this week’s recipe poll on Instagram!
My dad’s chili is FAMOUS among our family and friends - it’s the best, hands down Luckily for me, when I was craving it he typed up his ~secret~ recipe and sent it over - the subject of the email he sent was: This is the HAPPY version, not the HEALTHY version He has clearly caught on to my catch phrase (which I unintentionally say all the time) “we have to balance the happy with he healthy!”
Since I was making it for meal prep - and mostly since his version is the most special when he makes it- I made the HEALTHY (and still happy) version and don’t worry, even though it’s the healthy version it DEFINITELY didn’t sacrifice any flavor
Dad's (Lighter) Chili
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 8 oz chicken sausages chopped into small pieces
- 2 cans chili starter
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red/orange bell pepper chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1.5 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- ½ tablespoon garlic salt
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- Add your turkey and chicken sausage to a large pot over medium-high heat and cook well. Then add a little olive oil, onions, and peppers to pot and sauté for for a few mins until onions are no longer transparent.
- Add your tomatoes, beans, chili starter, and spices to the pot and simmer on low/medium heat for 30-45 mins. Then allow to cool, top with your favorite toppings (I chose low-fat cheddar and plain Greek yogurt) and enjoy!