Just playing around in the kitchen this evening and tried to make a high-protein Buffalo chicken Mac n cheese for Austin and I, and it turned out WAY better than I thought! In fact, Austin says it’s his #2 favorite thing I’ve ever made (a very close runner up to the creamy jalapeño chicken )
I love this recipe for meal prep, because it’s a 1-pot meal and so easy to pack. Small ingredient swaps can really make a big difference in the nutrition of a dish! Here is a quick summary of some swaps I made
- Regular noodles ➡️ chickpea pasta (more protein and fiber)
- Whole milk/cream ➡️ ultra filtered skim milk (more protein and less fat)
- Frozen breaded chicken ➡️ plain baked chicken (more protein and less carbs)
- Ranch dressing ➡️ dry ranch seasoning (less fat)
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Nutrition per serving: 397 calories34g protein42g carbs (7g fiber)11g fat
- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 boxes Banza pasta
- 3 oz cheddar cheese
- 2 oz mozzarella chesse
- 2 oz velveeta cheese
- 1 cup fairlife skim milk
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional on top: bleu cheese, Buffalo sauce, and yogurt ranch
- Boil noodles as directed, then add to an oiled glass baking dish. While noodles are cooking, bake chicken breasts and then cut into small bits and add to the baking dish.
- Combine cheeses, milk, Buffalo sauce, butter, and dry ranch in a pot, and place over medium heat. Stir continuously until combined and smooth. Then, pour cheese mixture over the noodles & chicken and mix well.
- Sprinkle top with bleu cheese or a little more cheddar cheese if desired, and broil on high for 5 mins until the top is a little crispy. Remove from oven and enjoy!
Leave a Reply