I’ve been craving Tex-Mex like CRAZY lately (especially the cheese sauce - yum!) My friend has been requesting the air-fried chimichanga recipe for a while, so what better time to post than now!
For comparison, a traditional chimichanga has about 1090 calories and 48g fat - this one has 379 calories and 8g fat!
The main swaps I made were using fat-free refried beans, using a high fiber tortilla, baking (or air-frying) instead of deep frying, and making my cheese sauce with reduced-fat dairy products. ✅ This just goes to show that SMALL swaps can make a BIG difference with nutrition!
And of course there’s nothing wrong with a regular chimichanga every now and then, I just wouldn’t want that 1090 calorie item to be a regular in my diet ♀️
Make sure to check out the recipe VIDEO on TikTok!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar salsa of choice
- 1 can fat-free refried beans
- 1 white onion
- 7 oz 2% Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ⅓ block reduced fat cream cheese
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt divided
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 8 Xtreme wellness tortillas
- Add chicken + 1 jar salsa to the instant pot and cook for 12 mins (or add to crockpot and cook only for 6-8 hrs or high for 4-5 hrs). When done, shred chicken and add back to pot. While chicken is cooking, chop and sauté one onion, then mix with can of beans. Add mixture to shredded chicken when done.
- Also while chicken is cooking, make cheese sauce by adding Mexican cheese, milk, cream cheese, ¼ cup Greek yogurt, Rotel, and spices to a pot over medium low heat and whisk often until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400. Add chicken filling to tortilla, fold sides in, then roll from bottom to top. Spray with olive oil spray and bake for ~15 mis until tortillas start to brown on top. While those are baking, mix other ¼ cup Greek yogurt, about 1 tablespoon water, lime juices and cilantro to make drizzling sauce. Remove from oven, cover with cheese sauce, and drizzle with cilantro lime sauce and enjoy!