I had a terrible cold this weekend, which was perfect timing I guess since the weather also got a lot colder! It’s feeling more like fall here so I was craving something a little heartier (I topped mine with a little optional Greek yogurt and cheese) And everyone knows you can’t have chili without cornbread ♀️ so I whipped up a lower-calorie version with all the same taste!
⬇️ Check at the bottom for the cornbread recipe
As you can see, my little kitchen helper was very good during picture time and sat right by my side! (Staring down the chili of course)
Quick Disclaimer: this is a 30-min chili for instant pot users! Slow cooker users will take longer to cook (hence the name SLOW cooker)
Servings: 6 (1 serving = ~2 cups)
Calories per serving: 408 cal
Protein per serving: 38 g
Carbs per serving: 30 g
Fat per serving: 15 g (6g sat fat)
2.4 lbs 90% lean ground beef
6 cloves garlic (minced)
1 onion (diced)
4 bell peppers (diced)
½ cup beef broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can low sodium kidney beans (drained)
1 can tomato paste
2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon paprika
½ tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
INSTANT POT USERS:
1. Turn Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add ground beef and sauté for ~5-10 mins until beef is almost completely browned. Add onions and garlic and sauté for another 5 mins.
2. Cancel sauté mode, then add the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and cook on high pressure for 20 mins. Then release steam, and (once pressure is released) enjoy!
SLOW COOKER USERS:
1. Cook ground beef in a large pan on the stove on medium-high heat for ~10 mins until beef is almost completely browned. Add garlic and onion to pan and sauté for another 5 mins. Transfer to slow cooker.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir well, and cook on high for 4-5 hours OR low for 6-8 hours. Then let cool and enjoy!
(Makes 12 servings)
Nutrition per serving: 89 cal, 16g carbs, 5g protein
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
⅓ cup stevia
2 eggs (scrambled)
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl, then slowly whisk in all wet ingredients. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Spoon mixture into muffin tin (makes 12 muffins) or into baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray
3. Bake for 15 mins (or until center is no longer wet - you can check this by inserting a toothpick into the middle). Allow to cook and enjoy!